Emotional Intelligence – A Conscious Solution

We see emotions as organized responses crossing the boundaries of many psychological arenas including the physiological, cognitive, motivational and experiential systems. Emotions typically arise in response to an event either internal or external, which has a positively or negatively influence for the individual. Emotions can be distinguished from the closely related concept of mood in that emotions are shorter and generally more intense [Peter Salovey, John D Mayer, Imagination, Cognition and Personality, Vol.9 (3) 185-211,1989-90].

The concept of EI has recently received considerable importance in various books, magazines and journals. However, everybody seems to employ different definition or make different claim for its importance. This has prompted us to explore the different facets of EI and its components as well as to clarify the real existing definition of EI. Let us first understand the terminology of EI.

Understanding of EI

To understand the concept of EI we need to  certification DISC explore its components namely Intelligence and emotions. Intelligence pertains to abilities such as ‘the power to combine and separate concepts, to judge and to reason and to engage in abstract thought. Where as emotions belongs to the so called affective sphere of mental functioning that includes the emotions themselves, mood evaluations and other feelings including fatigue or energy. However Goleman (1995) has given a new meaning of EI. According to him IQ accounts for only about 20% of person’s success in life where as the remaining 80% attributes to EI. Considering the above arguments, wetermed EI as,” the ability to perceive emotions , to access and generate emotions so as to assist thoughts, to understand emotions and emotional knowledge and to reflectively regulate emotions so as to promote emotional and intellectual growth.” The above definition combines both that emotions makes thinking more intelligent and that one thinks intelligently about emotions. However the definition is segmented into detail into the following figure:



1. Reflective Regulation of Emotions to promote Emotional and Intellectual Growth

· Ability to stay open to feelings, both those that are pleasant and those that are unpleasant.

· Ability to reflectively engage or detach from an emotion depending upon its judged in formativeness or utility

· Ability to reflectively monitor emotions in relation to one self and others, such as how clear, typical, influential, or reasonable.

· Ability to manage emotion in oneself and others by moderating negative emotions and enhancing pleasant ones without repressing or exaggerating information they may convey

2. Understanding and analyzing Emotions; Employing Emotional Knowledge

· Ability to label emotions and recognize relations among the words and the emotions themselves, such as the relation between liking and loving.

· Ability to interpret the meanings that emotions convey regarding relationships, such as that sadness often accompanies loss.